1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade sharpeners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LP, Feb 16, 2003.

1. LP

LP LawnSite Member

In times past we used an angle grinder, but we have many more blades these days and i have a foreman who really raves about these blade machines, anyone have advice on this topic?
  2. John at JDH Select

John at JDH Select LawnSite Member
    from Indy

I have used a "front facing" Neary grinder for 10 years. It adjusts to the proper angle and grinds a perfect pitch cutting surface. The only problems I have encountered is when you try to drag a bi-level (raised) blade across the surface, it is hard to maintain the angle. If you are using flat blades only, you should not have a problem. The second problem is trying to convince friends and family that you are not in the blade grinding business.

I hope this helps.
  3. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a dedicated "Blade Sharpener". But working on it.
    I've researched the topic and came up with my answer on one, I'll get the Magna Matic !! Don't forget the Balancer.. I do have a balancer from Magna Matic and Love it!!.......

Lou :blob2:
  4. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a $70 grinder from Home Depot and my results were good enough. Nice sharp edge.
  5. fatboy5803

If you haven't already, check it out. Their also one of the sponsors of this site.

6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a $30 grinder and it's good enough for my uses.

I don't see the need to pay $1000 for a blade grinder when I only paid $800 for the mower.
  7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a Foreman then you probably have enough volume to justify a dedicated sharpening system, much faster and more accurate than any of the handheld angle grinders so fast you will probably start offering the service (sharpen & balance $6 - $7 per blade). I am a one man operation but like the finer toys that are available to the lco and have had a commercial grinder and balancer for two years. As previously mentioned 'multi level' blades are a pain (more time consuming) standard flat blades are a walk in the park. When I talked with the manufacturer he recommended the smallest grinder he makes (Fireball Jr) and it is NOT some wimpy piece of junk it is commercial all the way.

check it out at www.gpweb.net/fireball

8. LP

LP LawnSite Member

I checked out the site but no prices, what did you pay for yours? I'm not to big on paying 500.00 or more dollars on a unit that will only sharpen straight blade's, anyone aware of one that sharpens all blades for around the 500.00 area or less!!
  9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

A blade is something you don't buy right away. It's probably last on your equipment list(it was on mine). But after I got it, I realize how valuable itreally is. Makes sharpening blades a snap. No more clamping blades in the vise.
  10. fatboy5803

I agree the blade sharpener should be down on the list on mowing equipment, I want one but not in the budget at the moment. But when I do It'll be either the Mag-8000 or 9000, I want the 8000 for the mulching blades.. But realistically the 9000 is more in my price range.. I can see the benefit of a sharpener. Hopefully soon.......