1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

blade sharpeners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xxwd5000, Mar 18, 2003.

1. xxwd5000

xxwd5000 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

Need some advice on blade sharpeners. Is magnamatic worth their price or is some of the sharpeners you see in the catalogs just as good. I figure it's just like anything else you get what you pay for. I have never had one and am going to purchase one soon. Thanks for your help.
  2. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I have never had a blade sharpener either, but I just ordered one this past weekend and can hardly wait to try it out.. Hope to get it this week ?? After All the researching I did I felt the Magna-Matic was the best for your dollar... Good Luck......

Lou :cool:
  3. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

How much does one of those cost??
  4. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

magna matic is worth every penny of the 540$ i paid and the balancer is worth every penny it cost .
    For blade maintanence its a no brainer magna matic is the best
  5. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

I've used the cheap kind (stepped cone) and have had good luck. No bearing failures after 8 yrs of using it.
  6. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I also have a Mag-1000 balancer, use to use the cone type, then I balanced the blade with the cone, then checked with the mag-1000, Got a better balance!! Check the Magna-Matic Web page, It has all the information on prices and all...

7. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

Yes ive used the cone type and thought i had balanced blades ,until i put em on the magna matic and seen how out of balance they really were.

Bearing failure aint the only thing a unbalanced blade causes.
    It will cause the machine to work harder and cause ware on many componants on the mower .

For a true balanced blade there is only one way to get it and that is a magna matic balancer
  8. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i'm going to have a Magna-Matic 9000 sharpener, stand and balancer for demo at Flex-Decks BarBQ the 29th in Sperry, Iowa, come check it out!!

9. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

I think if I were to purchase a Magna Matic it would be the 9000 model that does both standard and mulching blades,since It is a real pain sharpening exmark mulching blades.Another wish list thing,
  10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I use a Neary and in the past it took a long time to sharpen blades (I always got to get every nick out) this year I bought a ceramic wheel for it and it works 10x better.

I wish I knew about lawnsite a couple of years ago. I bought my grinder just by seeing it in Landscapoer supply catalog. I don't even order form them now that I found J-Thomas, Thanks to this site.