blade sharpening business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by locutus, Sep 9, 2003.

1. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

due to the fact that at this moment i cant afford the type of blade grinder that i really want i.e. neary/magna-matic, i have been taking my blades to a commercial mower dealer for sharpening and balancing. after visiting serveral shops in my area i was astonished to discover that every one of them are using regular old bench grinders to sharpen blades and only two of them have a magnamatic to balance them. sometimes i wish i could get a feel about how many people would pay for professional sharpening on-the-spot and blade sales as a stand alone kind of business. has anyone else out there had less than stellar service when it comes to blade sharpening?

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i'd pay about $1/blade if it was convenient to my location, meaning, right on my route where i can drop some blades off as i go by and pick them up in 35 minutes when i'm on my way out.

hell, with all the landscapers around here i should just put my generator on my trailer and buy a mm9000 and just set up shop at lunchtime at the deli!!! i see at least 4 at lunch, and probably pass a good 20-30 of them during my route in one day.

3. locutus

from NC

another thing that ive wondered is if you priced the service low enough to get people to stop sharpening their own blades, would the increase in volumn of customers compensate for the low price? completely depends on density of lcos in your area and like you said , convienient to your route.

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

There's several guys that have bought an inventory of blades and set up a booth at one of the local flea markets around here. Charge $8 - $9 bucks per blade. Better than from a dealer.

5. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I am sure to get flamed on this but I have almost 3,000 hours on my commercial Dixon and I have replaced bearings twice and 1 spindle one time after slamming an iron rod sticking out of the ground. I ALWAYS sharpen them myself and ALWAYS use a bench or angle grinder with no balancer. So for the part ill get flamed about, Idont see why in the world you need a mega buck blade sharpening machine. I have saw a few dealers in my area sharpen to and although most balance they all use bench grinders.

6. locutus

from NC

i wont be the one to flame you lawnagent. its just that it has always been preached to me that it is imperative to have your blades hollow ground at the correct angle and balanced to obtain optimum performance from your blades and more life from your spindles. i am willing to concede that i may be wrong about this and would invite others to chime in on there experiences in this area. thanks for the replies guys.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Fireball 300-C.

It means business.

blade sharpener.jpg

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Magna-Matic 1000 balancer.

mag1000_alert.jpg

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

:cool: