1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade Sharpening Cost

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by snowjeep, Mar 9, 2007.

1. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

What do you all pay for blade sharpening a high lift blade? I have a dealer I got all my equipment from and they have been very good to me. But they get $9.00 to sharpen high lift blades and $7.00 for staight blades.
  2. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Thats the same price a local company around here charges. A good number of LCO's sharpen their blades daily or at least weekly and $9 per day per blade is going to take a big bite out of your profits. It would be cheaper in the long run for you to purchase a blade sharpener like a Magna-Matic or at least a bench grinder or angle grinder.
  3. johndeereguy

johndeereguy LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Not to sure what the thinking is, but I don't pay $9 a piece to buy NEW blades, much less hiring somone else to sharpen them. If you can'y sharpen your own blades, you are not going to be in business long.
  4. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

I agree with wells-Thats going to get pretty costly in the long run @ 9.00 a crack. One or two mowers would probably be okay for awhile , but after that I would be lookin' for a grinder pronto. Even a hand grinder would survice for awhile with a blade jig.But like deere said probably cheaper for you to just buy Xtra blades.
  5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

about 30 bucks for a bench grinder, then about 5 min and I'm done. Sharpen your own. Also sharpen blades for others so it literally pays for itself.
  6. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Hit up Ebay and buy a Blade balancer....Its works like a sea-saw, little heavy on one side, grind it down.....it doesn't compare to the $130-$170 magnetic wall balancer but I've had no problems with it....and each blade cost me $0.00 to sharpen..I think I got the balancer for $9.99 including shipping
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, do this:
    Run to Harbor Freight Tools and get a handheld Chicago Electric angle grinder for $10 or $15.
    Then, run to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a blade balancer for another 5 bucks or so (the metal ones are better if you can find).

Since you have to pull and reinstall them anyhow, you'd save money diy'self by not having to stop by the stealership all the time.

Because I agree, you won't be around for long paying that kind of money, but if you ever feel like paying $7 - $9 / blade again, know that you can order them brand new from J Thomas and several other places for that kind of money.

Yeah man, don't let them gip you like that.
  8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

$4.00/blade for mine.:)
  9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

$8/blade here. I sharpen every day of the week and then get them sharpenedon the friday and balanced. No problems so far.
  10. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck LawnSite Member

what the hell does that do? Kinda new to this, so not sure on that one.