Blade Sharpening...How many hours?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DavidR, Jan 5, 2008.

1. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

How many hours do you typically go between sharpening? I try to check my blades fairly regularly but I hate to continue to check them over and over.

2. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I change mine every day.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

varies greatly depending on conditions...can be as short as 4 hours or up to 12 in the summer.

4. schunklawn

schunklawn LawnSite Member

every other day at the very most. usually everyday. some guys go a few days even with heavy mowing. i'd say evey 8 hours of cutting.

No Bunk Lawn Care

5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

your serious ? where do you cut, the beach? How many hours are you going between changes then?

I normally get 3+ weeks out of mine, thats if im busy cutting 3+ full days per week, if not i get a whole month. Thats about 30~hrs on the deck per sharpening. Ive gone 50-60hrs before and they wernt totally dull but still cutting "ok"

6. schunklawn

schunklawn LawnSite Member

honestly i think its just a habbit that some people fall into. Its kind of just routine for me to sharpen my blades before i go out and cut. also i know that the cut will look great with them sharp to. i think if you really wanted to stretch it, you could go a lot longer than 3 weeks without sharpening your blades and it would still cut the grass. trial and error has shown that its beneficial to always have sharp blades for the life of you equipment and the quality of your cuts.

No Bunk Lawn Care

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

All my customers lawns get cut with sharp blades, to make sure that they are sharp every single day if that mower goes out, the blades get sharpened, yes sir. Never will I touch a lawn with dull blades, no doubt about it, razor sharp always.

Hidden secret Bonus 1: It helps make it easier to quote my prices.
    > My confidence is a little higher when I know my blades are sharp.

Hidden secret Bonus 2: Sticks and branches getting in the way?
    Just run over that, save myself the hassle, chop chop.

8. We sharpen our blades as needed. They're checked every morning before mowing and any bad blades are replaced immediately. We also send each mower out with a couple sets of sharpened blades in case they're needed on the site.

9. Phaneuf

Phaneuf LawnSite Member

Honestly, just ONE lawn will take the razor off your edge, though I still go all day before I sharpen up for the next. Think about it though... Don't sharper AND BALANCED blades make life a whole lot easier? I can hear it in the deck if my blades get dull. Sharp blades have a nice hum to 'em that I like the sound of. Plus it cuts and throws grass better. It reduces friction and thus strain on spindels, belts, PTO, Engine right up the line. Sharp blades should be a top priority for sure.

10. steve m

steve m LawnSite Member

3 to 4 weeks