Blade sharpening, How often?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdran5, Mar 21, 2005.

1. I was reading a thread the other day and one of the guys said they sharpen every night during the cutting season, My Question, about how many hours of cutting on a ZTR or even a push should I be resharpening? Do some of yall just doit baesed on a 1o hour cutting day, sometimes I go about 60 hours, Just wondering what the consensus is.

2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

You want to sharpen and balance your blades about every 8 hours of cutting.

3. Every 8 hours, thanks.. Guess I will be ordering a balancer..

4. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Consider buying multiple sets and sharpen all at once.

5. LwnMnWoody

LwnMnWoody LawnSite Member

I sharpen my blades weekly. I have several back-up sets and one on each of my mowers. I am a part-timer with full-time hours though. I don't know how many hours I cut. Never really measured for a week.

6. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

i think mine get done about every 10 hrs or so.

7. kmclawn

kmclawn LawnSite Member

I will check the blades thruout the mowing day. Change them when you feel they need to be changed. I have days that I change blades during the day or other days I can mow all day on a set. I always change them at nite so I have a sharp edge in the morning. I also have multiple sets for each mower so I don't have to sharpen each evening.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on the time of year, I will change anywhere from daily up to 2-3 times per week. I keep about 15-20 sets of blades and sharpen and balance all at once on rain days. Then I don't have to worry about them for a while.

9. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

A sharp blade will give a nice cut and a great looking lawn. There is no way I would punish the customers I had at the end of the week with a mediocer cut because the blades were not sharp! Blades should be sharp daily.

10. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

With the MEG MO blades we can go 10 days before we sharpen which is around 60 hr. and no balancing .