Blade Sharpening on JD Tractor L110

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by boxoffire, Sep 23, 2004.

1. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

Asked a garden shop today about sharpening my blades on my JD L110 tractor and they said they could do it for me for $12 per, and $13 each additional I believe. Anyway, that's much cheaper than my JD dealer. However, he did say if they have problems getting the blades off they could damage the spindle which they don't cover repair on and that I'd have to buy a new one from JD for almost $250. Yikes! Now I was thinking of taking the blades off myself and just carry them to my JD dealer and they only charge $8 per blade, and then put them back on. But from what this guy is telling me about breaking a spindle taking it off, I'm very hesitant to get the tools and even try it. JD says if I bring mower in they charge like an hour labor charge to take off blades and sharpen so I'll bet thhey will get $75 from me which seems like a ripoff to me, could be wrong on that final price though. They really wouldn't tell me for sure. That's why this other equipment dealer of Toro's and Scags appealed to me when they said I could bring the JD mower in and they would only charge $12 for first blade, and $13 for each after that. It was the possible breakage of JD spindle part that concerns me though. What do you folks think or know about this situation? Is is that hard to get my blades off my tractor after taking off my deck? Could I easily break this spindle part he's referring to? Don't know what to do, but I just don't want to take it to JD and pay $60 to have blades sharpened every 25 hours of usage.
  2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Breaking a blade bolt off or breaking the spindle is ALWAYS a possibility. Yup.. seems like a lot of $ to remove and simply sharpen a few blades. BUT... you also have to keep in mind that when you walk in and want yur blades done, the mechanic has to drop what he's doin, unload yur mower, take in to the shop area, jack it up or put it on a lift, remove and sharpen blades, get it off the lift or jack, drive it around, load it up, do the bill ect.. By charging an hour labor at XX per hour, plus X amount per blade, HOPEFULLY you will be discouraged enough to do the task yourself. The task is outlined in your owners manual and for the price of what its gonna cost you to have it done, you can buy a cheap 4 1/2 inch angle grinder and a cheap vise and do it yourself. At the lawn care company I wrenched for, I trained every foreman and operator to remove, sharpen and reinstall/replace their own blades, lube and change oil on their machines. I could then concentrate on more technical tasks.