1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade Sharpening Question....help

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by GaryFenza, Oct 28, 2006.

1. GaryFenza

GaryFenza LawnSite Member

Hey guys, i have a 160 John Deere, GREAT machine for its age and still runs great, but i havent sharpened the blades in 2 years.....going on 3 cause this season is almost over. How Sharp do you make the blades, like....just made it so they are pointed and edged really nice, or Litteraly sharp enough to cut you, if you were run your finger against it? cause mind are SLOWLY starting to get like squared off, haha. HELP ME OUT...how SHARP, be SPECIFIC

thanks for any help
  2. Jon93091

Jon93091 LawnSite Member

The Sharper, The Better bro.
  3. BTLS

BTLS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

"starting to get like squared off" lol...personally, I just grind one side so that it looks kind of like my pocket knife blade...pretty sharp...will but your finger and on the other side, I use the fine grinder to put an edge about half the size to clean it up. That make sense?

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I sharpen them to a razor's edge the sharper the better seems you might need a new set.
  5. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on how long you want them to stay sharp. Steeper angle=longer lasting. Factory angle=better looking cut
  6. GaryFenza

GaryFenza LawnSite Member

cool, thanks