Blade Sharpening Question

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by fwh, Sep 13, 2006.

1. fwh

fwh LawnSite Member

Hi,

I'm wondering how often you lawn care pros sharpen you mower blades.
    How long does it take and how much money and or time does it cost you in a season? Also, how many do you buy in a year or season?

Why am I asking?

I have an idea for making a blade that would stay sharp for a very very long time.......At this time I don't know how long, but I'm hoping to find out soon.

Also, what are the most common blades on the market?
    Thanks and any info you give will help on this project.

Thanks
    fh

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Every 5 - 10 hours here. Usually get 120 - 150 hours from a set.

Most common blades are standard lifts but I use wavy mulching blades.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I can usually get about 15-20 hours out of a new set. Once I start sharpening, then like lawnmaniac said, about 5-10. Once you start sharpening they don't stay sharp as long.

4. lawnjocky

lawnjocky LawnSite Member

Change them daily. On average three blades per mower deck. About 10 min. per blade for removal, sharpining/balancing and replacement.

5. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

I use Gator Mulchers. I think most guys down here use some type of mulcher.

6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive tried gators, didnt like them. Ive always used high lifts. Im now using eXmarks mulchers on my Kees Z. I took my mulch kit off and the mulcher blades seem to be working even better. I built a OCDC so I can open the side discharge also.

I dont think you can make a blade to last along time. Its going to wear no matter what. If it was possable, someone would have already invented a super long lasting blade.
    I would rather spend some of my free time sharpening blades, that spending 50,60 or even 70 dolllars on a long lasting blade.

I think a blade made out of carbon fiber would be about the best. But would cost alot.

Stick to the way everyone else does it. Its easy and doesnt take alot of time.