Blade Sharpening Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GraZZmaZter, May 23, 2003.

1. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

I have been sharpening my blades in the fashion to where i leave about 1/16 of an edge on it.

My mechanic (has a horticulture degree) told me to do this for 2 teasons:

(1) breaks the grass blade off stunting the growth for 3 days, compared to if you cut the grass blade, growth begins immediatly.

(2) prolongs the mower blade's life. (ie it dulls faster if you put a razor edge on it.

So what do you do and why do you do it that way? What have your heard. What do others you know in the biz do?

Appreciate any comments!!

ps: wont read this till next week. have a safe, happy memorial day weekend all.

god bless our vets. (im one of them)

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

All I know is sharp blades give a clean cut so as to not invite disease's into the lawn.

Thats all!

3. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

We've discussed this before... no more than a couple of weeks ago.... try a search on sharpening.

Sharp blades are the way to go. Gives a clean cut, which promotes healthy grass and healthy growth which means more cuts and more $$$.

Now, if I could only find enough cash for a Magna-Matic! Some day soon I hope.

4. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 LawnSite Member

Thats what I have always been told. I use a regular bench grinder and put a razor sharp edge on them and balance them. I change the blades every couple of days, or once a day if the grass has been tall and wet like it has been this spring around here. I wish I could afford the Magna Matic, but can't justify that expense when my bench grinder does just fine.

I do keep three to four sets of blades for each machine, so I can change them on the fly, and spend an hour or less sharpening the dull sets once a week when I do my regular maintenance on the mowers.

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You mentioned the Hort guy said that the dull blade stunts growth for 3 days.

So this means you should have 2 different sets of blades or different machines...a machine with blades with a 1/16" edge and a razor sharp edge.

Why?

CONTRACT ACCOUNTS that pay a flat monthly should get treated to the 1/16" dull blade.

Also, PITA customers, contract or not, should get the dull blade so you have 3 more days to avoid them.

PREMIUM HIGH PROFIT ACCOUNTS that pay per cut should get sliced with the razors.

KB

:D

6. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

We put on sharp blades daily, usually twice daily.... tried to sharpen only once weekly.... I had at least 150+ new/sharp blades in rotation. Started out sharpening daily but every time I went to the dealers I tried to pick up several new sets of blades... Lots more rotation in fall cuz we used double blades, gators and high lift.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Sharp blades are the way to go. Better for the grass and better for the engine with less strain.

Gravely_Man

8. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

Sharp

9. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, Use my 2HP Crapsman bench grinder. Nice and Sharp all the time.

10. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 LawnSite Member

2HP Wow that sounds pretty powerful. How many fingers do you have left :D LOL