Blade sharpening questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Javelin14, Feb 14, 2001.

1. Javelin14

Javelin14 LawnSite Member

My two sons mow about 15 yards/week with a Yazoo 3-wheel mower. I've been having a friend sharpen the blades but the favor is about to wear thin. I'm considering buying a blade sharpening rig that Lesco sells (a grinder with a jig to hold the blade) and was wondering how everyone else does it. Has anyone used this type of sharpener and is it worth the $325 price tag?

Thanks

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have seen this blade sharpener and the Lesco guys won't even use it to sharpen blades. They have a RBG grinder that they use and I would spend the extra $75 and get the RBG grinder. It has a table to lay the blade flat on it and you raise and lower the grinding wheel to get the proper angle. The Lesco is just a bench grinder with an adjustable jig. Here is the link to see it. https://www.amleo.com/help-desk/item.php?bg218

3. Hello Javelin14:

If that's the Yazoo I think it is, does it have a really really thick blade & has anybody said that they are very very hard to sharpen?

Sorry Eric, but I had to ask & if I'm right about these Yazoo Blades, they are what I call the blades from Hades! I noes you know more than I does about 90% of this stuff, butt I'm adding my .02 cents in anyway & I might be wrong on this? If so I's sorry!

If you answered yes to both the First & Second part of the question & they are the blades I think they are. I suggest you just get a 4" right angle hand grinder. If it's a left hand discharge mower, I know they is the blades from Hades! But so is a lot of the right hand discharge models too.

Those blades are hard on anything that sharpens them. At our shop & many others they will not let them be sharpened on a regular dedicated blade sharpener, like Eric is talking about, the RGB. They will eat up a rock in a minute. When I cut & before I got a sharpener some shops refused to sharpen them & others charged me double?

Now as far as balancing them, us folks down in JawJa have a very high dollar blade balancing rig. There are 2 of them & both cost a buck or two.

1. Just stick a nail through a board & nail it to the wall with the end of the nail sticking out just make sure it is about 7 feet up or a table is in front of it, don't want no hard working folks getting stuck, you have enough of that dealing with the public. :)

2. The most costly is a screwdriver in yo hand & stick it through the hole hopefuly in the center & yes I know if it's the blade I think it is, it's got a rectangular hole in the center of it.

That's why I said hopefully in the center, LOL. Just don't make a science project out of it, it's not Rocket Science it's the Lawn Service Business plain & simple, you just got to be close, it's turning so fast if it's close enough to pass the Balancing Secrets of the JawJa Redneck it will be fine on that Yazoo Tank. That's the way I've been doing it for over 20 years, no problem yet & probably 20,000 plus blades.

BTW, If Eric has sharpened a set of the Yazoo blades on that mighty fine RGB grinder he has & he is ok with it & will do it again, then just forget everything I said. A RGB grinder is a terrible thing to waste! :)

Question:
    Is that Yazoo got a SunStrand or how ever you spell it Hydro unit on it. These guys might not Know it but back in the mid 80's that was one fast machine. It would burn rubber on take off & mine went 17 to 18 mph & it was set 200 rpm's under what the manufacture recommended. I got one of the first ones in my area & the other guys would pull over & watch it cut. Hey they could do some kind of damage too, if ya hit something. I've been there & Done that many times!

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

could we assume these blades hold edge
    real well.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I haven't sharpened from the Yazoo, but I have sharpened a set of blades that the last 3" has some sort of hardened metal that is very hard and done this several time. This grinder has a premium ceramic wheel which after a full season of sharpening two and sometimes 3 sets of blades a day, it still looks the same size, but I will measure it to see how much it wore down. I'm sure it is smaller if nothing else, from using the diamond on it to clean and true up the wheel again.

6. Hello again:

Yes these blades hold a edge for a good while. It was the only mowers that we could go a week without Sharpening & still cut good.

Our Snappers & Hondas we had to sharpen daily during the heavy growth season, now we demanded very sharp blades & Cleaned air filters daily & in most caes changed oil weekly.

7. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 4" angle grinder. Put blade in vise and sharpen them with the angle grinder, then finish them up with a bastard file 10". Works out great and puts a good edge on them. Trust me, SHARP. The wrench slipped one day and cost me $480.00 for 4 stiches, HELL YEA they are sharp using this method. Angle grinder $69.00.
    Good Luck,
    Mowman