1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade Sharpening Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimmy Williams, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Jimmy Williams

Jimmy Williams LawnSite Member

Just a couple of questions about blade sharpening:

What is the best angle to sharpen blades at?
    What kind of grinding wheel is the best?

2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I will put my 2 cents in on the first question. I try to sharpen my blades at 30 degrees.

Second question you are gonna get several different answers to this one. Each one will tell you this is the best method or the easiest.

Me -- I use an angle grinder with a 60 grit flap disc.

3. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

1, less than a 90 degree angle
    2 a hard one.
  4. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

I sharpen blades by hand on a bench grinder with the coursest wheel I can find. I just follow the original angle that was on the blade when new. Sometimes I grind them back a little farther.

5. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

Andrew's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

Use a hand die grinder with the blade on the bench. Works great. Also the pitch should be at a 30-35 degree angle depending on the mower manufactor.
  6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Ive been trying to get good results with a hand held grinder and even a file. The fact is, they just dont cut as well or last as long as a proffessionally sharpened blade. Google rotary blade grinder and look at the Brandlein Fireball series, RBG by Wall, and Magnamatic. My favorite is the Fireball. These are expensive but if you mow commercially it will easily pay for itself in a year or two. Lots of people swear by their handheld grinder. I tried it and I no like.
  7. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

Hand held die grinder is the best!!!!!
  8. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

Ok i'm the mechanic for Andrew's Lawn Maintence, how is the hand held file work for you. I always use a die grinder and have no complants, I think it the best to use. Kevin
  9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

if you do it frequently, a hand file works fine. if they are really rounded or knicked, a grinder is almost required. seems to me Walker calls for 20 degrees on their blades, they don't seem to have as much angle as my emark oem blades did.
  10. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

If you use a handheld grinder to take out nicks, good luck with the angle.