Blade Sharpening Service that delivers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsylvain, Nov 21, 2007.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody ever see a company that does blade sharpening on a regular basis. I just don't have time to sharpen blades all the time and taking them to someone else is just a pain. I'm trying to find a service that will just deliver sharp blades to my shop weekly and take the old ones away to be sharpened. I'm spending about 5 hours a week or more (I don't really keep track) if I payed someone $10.00 to sharpen my blades that would be $200 a month for sharp blades. I would gladly pay a service this much a month and not have to deal with it. I would only have to put them on.

anyone ever see something like this?

2. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

just about any mower repair shop can do that ...around here its $ 4 a blade. I hate sharping blades as well, i remember my second year in the business i had about $400 in blades because i was to lazy to sharpening them. and that was just for one ztr

3. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Holy cow, I wish I lived close, I would do it. Jeez 2 to 3 minutes work per mower is not too much imho....

Like the other guy said, your local mower shop would gladly sharpen your blades and if you have a weeks worth, you could deliver on sat morning and in 15 mins they could have them all sharpened for you.

Or you could buy a meg-mo blade sharpener and do it in seconds vs. minutes.

4. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Megmo blade sharpener? I have searched megmo's site and can't find it. I do my own blades but I am not that good at it, but can't afford to pay for that service.

5. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I want someone to drop nice razor sharp blades at the front door every Monday and pick up my dulls, then I don't have to screw with it. At $4.00 a blade that would run me $36.00 a week plus the hour or more taking them to the shop and waiting around. That's an hour of my time plus paying my helper $10.00/hr to sit and wait with me. After the blades and the helper that comes to about $2300 a year with taxes etc. I'd rather just pay someone $200 a month to just keep me in sharp blades.

6. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

:hammerhead: I meant magna-matic sharpener.... :hammerhead:

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's an interesting idea, I'll have to do the math but likely this could be set up if the person offering the service has a 1.5hp 12" grinder, I think $4 a blade with a 9 blade minimum I just might check into this...

But then I still have the rest of the business to run, thou it is an idea, I'd use the car to run around picking up / dropping off blades, regularly scheduled or on call, not sure on this bit yet but either way.

Because I gotta drive out there and back, sharpening 9 take about 20, we're really talking almost the equivalent of a lawn mowing service for a smaller lot here... The grinder is $700, the 12" $100 wheel doesn't last that long and they need regular re-balancing with a $3 non-reusable tool as well, might can do it a little cheaper but only if there's more blades.

Heck it would work:
    9 blades 35 dollars,
    12 for 45
    15 for 55
    18 for 65
    Something like that, keeps getting a little cheaper the more blades you got.
    Might can do 9 for 30 but that's cutting it close, I say once we get into 30 blades a pop we can talk about $3 per blade.
    Weekly scheduled = 4 x month might get another discount, who knows for sure.
    But if you got enough blades we do it twice / month and blam 30 blades $90 (180 / month), I would much prefer that over 4 visits.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh....

Well yeah if you don't have a dedicated RBG blade sharpener such as a Magnamatic or an Oregon then I would seriously consider one, it should easily cut that 5 hours in half.

Another thing that helps is a hefty blade balance, I always say you can't have enough blades, but it takes time. A few years of buying 6-9 or 12 blades a year and I think I'm up to ~40 thou 30 are for the Wb's the other 9 are for the Z. The thing is this makes me more effective, I can't deal with having to sharpen 3 lousy blades, that's a lot of bs involved, I'd rather wait until I got a stack and then do them all at once.

Takes me 20-30 seconds a blade, balanced and all, once I get into it good.
    Coat them lightly with a rag soaked in used motor oil keeps them from rusting while stocked, add another 20-30 seconds for this.
    I don't even start that RBG unless I got at least 12 that need it :laugh:

Hefty blade balance bonuses:
    When new ones arrive, there goes a week without sharpening any, you bet I run new ones as is, paint and all.
    > Sick and tired of sharpening is a dang good excuse to go out and buy about a dozen new ones.
    When droughts or hard times come around, there goes a year or two without the need for ordering any.
    Always sharp ones around, by the time a solid stack of dull ones build up it's been at least a week.
    30-45 minutes of sharpening usually takes care of about the whole dang slew.
    Don't have to do them all at once, don't have to wait until they're all dull either, do them when you feel like it or as many as you feel like, whenever, whatever, the more blades you have the better this gets.

9. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Top- There is money in EVERYTHING!! You are verging on hitting on one right now. It would only work in an area with quite a few LCO's to make it worth it, but it could work. It may not be your bread winner but it sure could be a toy payment(think fishing boat:rolleyes:)

10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Glad this topic came up as Ive been thinking about this for a while now. Might ring around some LCO's and see if theres a market.
    Would have to put a limit to how bad the blades are or more cost in bringing very dull/worn blades back to life. Also would have to check if bent and balanced for extra cost.

Maybe extra cost the first grind to get balanced, sharp etc and then reduce cost for weekly sharpen after that!

For us over here, cheapest blades I can find are about $20 ea. Branded blades are $40+ ea. I might be able to push $7 to $10/blade (maybe).

Gonna think on this more!