Blade Sharpening Service??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcfetrid, Mar 25, 2006.

1. mcfetrid

mcfetrid LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Has anyone ever come across a service much like "dry cleaning to your door" for blade sharpening?? Someone who comes to your place of business, drops off sharp blades and picks up dull ones to return next time. If not would anyone use this service as a more convenient and accurate method than doing it on your own?

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think this was asked last year, was it you?

3. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

it's way to easy to sharpen blades I cant see paying to have it done.

4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

sharpening blades gets easy, it took me a few times to get it down perfectly, i use a good bench grinder, but if i need to sharpen blades away from home, i use a dremel, does a great job

5. metro exteriors

metro exteriors LawnSite Member

I have a guy locally here in upstate NY that does that. I think it's a great service! He comes and installs the blades on the mowers and changes the oil too. I know its simple to sharpen, but in this business anything that makes life easier is a plus.

6. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

You would be surprised how many have there dealer sharpen for them, maybe they dont know how or they just dont want too . But most dealers charge 3$ a blade and up. I was tihnking of putting an ad in the paper for blade sharpening.

7. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here it's $6 a blade to get them sharpened. I do all of ours - we have a dedicated RBG Grinder with a magnamatic balancer - does a great job.

I started sharpening blades for other companies - usually 30-50 at a time. I charge them $2/blade and I frequently drop them off and/or pick them off if they are on my way to or from work. It's worked out well for both us and them.

8. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

$5 per blade here

9. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

we have a commercial blade sharpener also, they reccommend a homeowner sahrpen thier blades once a month every 4 cuts, our mowers average 32 cuts a day. we cant sharpen them every hour but al lour lasers get new blades daily or at the least 3 tiems per week. that would be like 600 per month to have someone sharpen them.