1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade sharpening tips?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bob's Lawn Care, Dec 16, 2000.

1. Bob's Lawn Care

Bob's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

How often should I sharpen my blades? I mow around 20 to 25 lawns a week and sharpen my blades once a week. I here a lot of you sharpen your blades every day. For those of you who do, how many lawns do you mow a day. I'm thinking you are mowing 100 or more lawns per week.
    How do you sharpen your blades? I have been placing the blades in a vise and using a right angle grinder, it does ok but I sure there is a better way. I've seen bench grinders with blade guilds. They look like they would sharpen the blades better and keep them more uniform. Does anyone else use them?
    Thank you in advance for your comments.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

during cutting season i'll change my blades once a day. keeps things running faster,it take me less than five minutes to do this .avg cuts per day is 8 thats = to someone cutting thier yard for two months,thats why i change them every day........ i have an extra set on the truck just in case and rotate 6 sets ...sharpening thier are numerous threads on this subject everyone has their way but the bottom line is to be sharp i use my hand grinder and bench grinder depending how i feel. i keep enoungh extra blades so i only have to sharpen them once a week.six sets...5 days work...one extra pair...
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I put on a sharp set on each mower each day, except in the spring when it's growing very fast. I then may change them during the day even. The sharper the blade, the better the cut, the better the cut, the better the lawns look. Try shaving with a dull razer and you will understand this theory much better. :)

I used to use a right angle grinder and a vise, but I now use a dedicated blade grinder to sharpen the blades.

Here is a link to a search I did on sharpening blades. You will have some good reading here.
  4. Bob's Lawn Care

Bob's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Eric ELM
    Thanks for the tip. I checked your search and found a lot of usefull information. I going to look into one of those RBG grinders.

5. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

I am thinking of buying a Moon Blade sharpener. Anyone have one? Are they worth the $400 bucks?
  6. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious. Has anyone out there made their own RGB type grinder blade guide, work top, what ever it would be called?