Blade Sharpening vs New Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Babbages01, May 24, 2013.

1. Babbages01

Babbages01 LawnSite Member

How do I explain to someone that we need to sharpen our blades instead of buying new ones? I used to sharpen them once a week and I was only mowing 20 yards.

We mow between 40 and 50 yards a week. I personally think we should sharpen our blades at least once a week, but I was told that its better to buy new blades because sharpening makes them weak...

Put on a new set of blades 3 weeks ago and I can notice they aren't cutting as good and the mulching capability is suffering, thus they need sharpening. We mow bermuda and st. augustine. Sometimes pretty high grass.

The math makes sense to me. $12 a blade x 2 mowers x 10 sets a year is $240 in blades! We could cut that down to a quarter of the cost by sharpening.

Any advice on how to make my claim with the reasoning why?

2. No brainer..sharpen them...
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Babbages01

That's what I said, but he's convinced its better to buy new ones...

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you guys never sharpen blades? :O

why would you buy a new set of blades every week? waste of money.

i have about 20 yards and i sharpen mine every 2 weeks. one set lasts me about 2-3 months. i only use 3 sets a year.

5. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope, they're "no good anymore". Send em to me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah send me all of your old blades. i'll never buy blades again. :laugh:

7. Babbages01

Maybe I'll just pull them off one afternoon and break out the file and balancer.

We're on our second set this year for both mowers, but both of the original sets were pretty well destroyed by rocks and whatnot. Three weeks and these new ones are looking super dull.

8. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

9. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

You can't go 3 weeks without sharpening as you noticed the blades will be pretty beat up and take a lot of time to get back into shape and you'll be removing too much material so you won't get as many sharpenings out of them.

The more often you sharpen the longer the blades will last. I change out my blades on each mower every other day which is roughly 8 hours on the blades any more than that and they tend to take longer to sharpen. I have at least 5 sets of blades for each mower so I only to sharpen blades once a week.

10. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Every two weeks? I sharpen mine every day, used to carry a spare sharp set too. Sharp blades will allow you to cut faster and use less fuel in the process. Get some kind of grinder with ruby wheels. Maybe a minute per edge. The concave grind may stay sharp longer. The grass will look better, less brown on the cut edge. The blades will only weaken if seriously over heated. Even then they would only dull faster. After three weeks w/o sharpening the trailing edge is probably sharper than the leading edge.