1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Blade Sharpening vs New Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Babbages01, May 24, 2013.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I need a like button for this.

2. Babbages01

Babbages01 LawnSite Member

Maybe I'll just show him this thread.

With all this rain it was really noticeable yesterday. Tall, thick grass and the leftover clippings to match it.

3. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Can someone explain the bold part? When metal gets hot and cools, it becomes harder and brittle (alot more to it than thi, but I digress). That's why on excavator buckets and dozer blades you will see the lines of weld on them. Its called hard facing and resists wear because the weld metal is harder than the base metal (mild steel MIG filler is usually 140,000psi). I took a chunk out of one of my blades. I built it up with the welder and ground it back down. Balanced it and ran it and have not yet seen a difference from one blade to the next.

I know heating heat treated aluminum (6061-T6 is very common) or welding on it will make it soft by "resetting" the heat treatment to a T-0. This is why when welding aluminum fixtures, it common to complete the welds then heat treat.

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yes i sharpen every 2 weeks. i'm solo and average mowing hrs on the ztr each day is about 3-4hrs. some days it's only 1-2 hrs. i only work 4 days a week.

i could probably sharpen them every week but i get lazy. :laugh:

5. Kind of like, why wash your underwear, just buy new ones.

6. southgagrass

southgagrass LawnSite Member

I sharpen blades everyday. Usually keep about 5-6 sets ready so they can be changed out every morning. We do most of our cutting at 2.5 inches so a set of blades only lasts around 3 sharpenings befor it's time to do away with them because they start to get the "bow" bad. I wish I could only sharpen blades ones every couple weeks just not able to could save me a lot of money.

7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Even brand new blades need to be sharpened to remove the powder coat they come with. I have a Magna-Matic I use to sharpen our blades every day, has been well worth the investment.

8. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

I sharpen every other day whether they need it or not as you do not know what you'll run into the next day. I carry one extra blade for each mower also. I use a belt sander with 120 grit, it hardly removes any metal unless necessary and leaves them razor sharp.

9. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

I assume you noticed that new blades don't come "razor sharp". Not even fancy aftermarket blades. If you just blunt about 1/64" across the edge (as they typically come) they will stay "sharp" much longer. That "razors edge" typically lasts about 2 minutes before it begins to get ragged.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

One nice thing about a belt versus grinder is that they do stay sharper longer and before I will use a brand new blade I sharpen those also. Blade last much longer also