Blade Sharpening

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigcutup, Jul 9, 2005.

1. bigcutup

bigcutup LawnSite Member

Times New Roman7Black

What do you guys & gals consider to be the best procedure for sharpening your blades? All I have is a bench grinder, & I know there are better ways of resharpening, but most of the ones I have seem are out of my price league. I know how I have always done it, but I am open to better ideas. Thanks for your help.

bigcutup

2. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

we have sharpened them using the trusty ole bench grinder for 15 years. i looked at a lesco blade sharpener last year. for about 300$ you got a piece of crap. no thanks.

3. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I put a cinder block on the ground, put my foot on top and grind away with the angle grinder. I put a nail in the wall next to it and give it a quick check for balance.

4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

1 1/2 hp Oregon blade grinder, funny I like most guys don't seem to think twice on dropping 9 grand on a mower or some other such piece of equipment, puckered up when it was time to decide to pony up the $500 for the dedicated blade grinder. Probably some of the better money I've spent though :)

-Geoff

5. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a bench grinder, the dealer had one of his mechanics explain the proper method to sharpen them. So far, so good.

6. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

We take our blades out to our backyard deck, clamp them with vice grips to the top 2X4 and sharpen them with an angle grinder. Works well, I haven't heard of anyone using actual blade sharpeners (specifically for lawncare) and be happy with them.

7. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

SO what did he say..???

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Search this site and you will see everyone and mean everyone that I remember that bought a dedicated blade sharpener was happy with it.

9. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

basically he said to take the cutting edge of the blade and grind it flat, to take out all of the gouges and imperfections in the cutting edge, then angle the blade to create the cutting edge again. It sounded wierd at first to basically flatten your cutting edge, but its worked pretty good.

10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

'nuff said :waving:

-Geoff