1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

blade sharpening

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DBL, Sep 18, 2005.

1. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

I was just wondering how often you guys sharpen your blades i do it every once in a while when i have time not religously like many of you guys so i was just wondering a time to do it???
  2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

every day . I change blades every day iv got 20 sets to swap out

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

90 percent of the time every morning,11 blades here.
  4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

you guys....thats a big eye opener to me
  5. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

i dont mow much so blades last me a long time.
    i usually say 15 hrs on the machine between sharpenings.
    i know guys that put those hours in a day and a half, i go a couple weeks.
    and of course that depends on terrain, grass quality, operator, ect. ect. :)
  6. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

After every 8 hours of mowing.
  7. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

All blades get pulled off and sharpened weekly but during the real wet times of the year I will sharpen blades twice a week.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I got somewhere around 24 blades (stocked up some this year after reading the forum) but one mower uses 3 sets, the other uses 4, and the last set is useless gator blades... The idea WAS to only have to sharpen them once / week but the older blades are worn (due to sharpening) beyond manufacturer specs so I only run them on the older machine as it has lower rpm's, the newer machine only runs the newer blades.

Far as sharpening, again I sharpen several sets at a time then I swap worn for fresh. Swap them end of day IF 4 yards or more that day, so every day or every 4 yards, whichever comes last.
  9. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I change blades during the day if I hit something and one or more blades become blunt. It would be impractical to go back to the shop or wait until the end of the day. Gotta take it as it comes....
  10. tslawncarellc

tslawncarellc LawnSite Member

We usually sharpen blades on a daily basis- sometimes we can go every other day. It just depends on who is running that mower on the previous day. :D