blade sharpening

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mow_man, Jan 2, 2006.

1. mow_man

mow_man LawnSite Member

I'm new to the lawn care business. Just wondering how often do you experienced guys sharpen your mower blades?
  2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

3. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on your conditions, 8 to 12 (actual mowing) hours. The newer Fusion blades may go longer (I have no experiance with them yet).

Keep and extra set with you to change in the field if needed.
  4. Magnum Services

Magnum Services LawnSite Member

Every week I sharpen blades and switchout the dull ones.I have two sets of gator mulching blades and two sets of magnum blades .
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I usually change blades about every 8-10 hours or every other day of mowing, but that can depend on the grass or if I hit a rock or something.
  6. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Usually every other day depending on conditions. I also always carry an extra set in case you need to change them mid-day for some reason.
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

the way I was taught was when the grass tops look torn instead of cut it's time to sharpen....

if you notice weeds are a lot tougher than grass. you may get only 1 cut if you mow a field that has several weeds, than if you did several homes..
  8. mow_man

mow_man LawnSite Member

thanks guys for the helpfull information..
  9. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

All blades get sharpened weekly. I tried doing it daily for a while but found that I couldn't keep up with that schedule.
  10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Amen to that sentiment!!!