1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade sharpening

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GroundUp, Jan 17, 2006.

1. GroundUp

GroundUp LawnSite Member

How often should i sharpen the blades on my mower? after "about" how many lawns. I dont wanna tear up peoples grass
  2. Reliable Lawns

Reliable Lawns LawnSite Member

Answers on this subject will vary quite a bit, I am part time and I make sure my blades are sharpened once a week, more if I come across rocks. I do also carry an extra set on my trailer if needed. Some will change, sharpen their blades daily, depends on how much work you have, but yes, keep them sharp, it will help avoid disease and stress on the lawn, Good Luck
    I do approx 15 lawns a week, if that helps
  3. GroundUp

GroundUp LawnSite Member

Perfect. thank you!
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I sharpen my blades atleast 1x a week. Moreso if I know I have been running over trash etc. I have found that by sharpening them more often and not letting them get really dull and rounded over that you will take less metal off and they will be easier to sharpen up each time.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Mowers run about 4-5 hours ( per hour meter) a day and we change daily. Sharpen once a week.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Same here for me , also it depends on the grass and time of year. In the spring when the grass is tender, you may be able to get 2 days of cutting. Usually by summer grass is tuff and 1 day is about avg. and the same in the fall because Im usually mulching some leaves also

7. justinslawncare

justinslawncare LawnSite Member

i get about 5-6 full days out of one set. make sure the blades are fully sharp and dont be afraid to get new blades every so often. i went through 5 sets this year.
  8. Chicksdme2

Chicksdme2 LawnSite Member

I have always heard, "Change em' after 8 good sized yards." I try to stick to that.