1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

blade sharpening

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mike lane lawn care, Feb 27, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello all. I was wondering about sharpening my blades, in the past i have just sent then to the dealer and they do it in like 10 mins and costs $10. but this year i am going to be doing more lawns and the baldes will need sharpening more often. i have a dremel 400 XP with blade sharpening attachment, the one thing the manual doesn't say is how to sharpen the blades. do i just glide it over the blade?, or it is worth it to get a bench grinder?
    thanks in advance,
  2. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

You can buy a bench grinder for like $250 that is specially for sharpening lawn mower blades, ask your local dealer, or search ebay, i think thats where i got mine, (ebay) Very easy to use, it also makes sure you are getting the proper angel. As for the balance, just hang the blade on a nail, call me old fashion
  3. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a Delta bench grinder....works fine for me and blades get sharpened every other day on everything.:)
  4. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

I did the old $60.00 bench grinder for years what a pain

finally went all in for the Magnamatic and balancer

cost me 8 bills for the combo, night and day difference

i have 4 21s, a 48, 52, and 61

they each get new blades at the very laziest once a week

if its in your budget, i would get the magnamatic
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

many people here just use an angle grinder with sanding disks...... works great and cost about 20.00 much better then a bench grinder, that gets it too hot and the blade looses its strength (temper)
  6. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive got a blade grinder for sale. its listed in the marketplace section of this site. I used it for years. you adjust the angle by raising or lowering the wheel. Uses standard 6 inch wheels. I bought a bigger one so had no need for this one. make me an offer. Its a foley. Look at the pics.
  7. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for replies all !!!!!, i tink i will go with a grinder that a local outdoor power equipment dealer sells. but, just out of curiosity, has anyone every used the dremel?
  8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

A grinder will get them hot and knock the temper out, but you can keep a container of water handy and dip the blade every so often just like sharpening large drill bits.