Blade Sharpening ?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JClawncare, Mar 16, 2006.

1. JClawncare

JClawncare LawnSite Member

I HAVE BEEN USING A HAND HELD GRINDER TO SHARPEN MY BLADES. I HAVE LOOKED AROUND AT LOCAL DEALERS AND THEY ALL CARRY A BLADE SHARPENING MACHINE THAT RUNS ABOUT $400.oo. I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT A BENCH GRINDER? BUT I WAS WONDERING IF THERE IS ANYTHING ELSE OUT THERE THAT WOULD BE CHEAPER, OR BETTER. AND ALSO DOES THE ANGLE MAKE THAT BIG OF A DIFFERENCE?

2. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

I use an angle grinder. The only major problem (other than nicks) that me & the guys encounter is not grinding a proper angle of attack on the blade. These are more agile and if you are in a hurry, you can sharpen the blades when they are on the mower...IMO

3. zmowing

zmowing LawnSite Member
    from York,PA

check out www.mowmore.com R.B.G. Blade grinder. $364.00 Model BG121 does a great job.I got mine at a pawn shop for $50.00 because they didn't know what is was.

4. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Zmowing,
    UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!!!!!! :usflag:

5. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

i've got a piece of angle iron that i clamp onto the handle of my hand grinder that is 57" long. from the end of the angle iron to the center of the grinder is 60". i clamp the blades with a vice grip to a work mate that is 36" high. letting the angle iron "handle" rest on the ground 48" from the blade. this maintains an approximately 30 degree angle pretty nicely. try it let me know if it works for ya. i used the three four five rule for this but ya know i don't think it gives you a tru 30 degrees. it does what it does very consistantly though????

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever model you buy, make sure it's at least a 10" stone and 1hp and spins at least 3450rpm.

The 1/2hp 8" wheel spinning at 1725rpm are horrible.

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer the handheld angle grinder over anything. Just watch the cutting edge angle and you will be fine. I tried a blade sharpener once and I didn't like it at all and it saved me NO time over doing them with the angle grinder. That's what it's all about, saving time. If one does the same job as the other and takes the same amuont of time and one costs 40 bucks and the other 400... well you figure it out.

8. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I have a grinder sold by Oregon but don't know who makes it. It is 1/2hp and does a good job. Some of the more expensive kind would be better but for me for now, this works fine until I can afford a better one. At the time got mine on sale for $250 reg price $270.

9. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

the reason people go with a regular blade sharpener is 1 it dont wear the blades out as fast and 2 it gives u the precise angle without messing around. Best investment i've made considering i do my blades everyother week

10. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

Time out...how many accounts do you do? I sharpen every day so I don't get torn/ripped grass.

This tool you use keeps you sharp for two weeks? Wow. :dancing: