Blade Sharpening

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mes37fan, Apr 7, 2006.

1. mes37fan

mes37fan LawnSite Member

I have a new Toro Z-turn 48" Deck with a mulching kit which was installed at the dealer. I have mowed 8-10 yards and had a guy tell me that the blades need sharpened. How often should I sharpen the blades? I only mow about four times a week right now.

Thanks for any info. :confused: :usflag:

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i sharpen mine when the cutting edge no longer feels sharp to the touch. usually every 2 days. the duller a blade is, the more it tears the leaf edge which stresses the turf. the type of soil has and turf has a bearing on how fast you will need to sharpen them (sandy soil and bahai grass require more frequent sharpening for example). i usually buy two sets of baldes, that way if they are getting too dull in the field, i can quickly replace them and sharpen the old ones at the end of the day or when it is more convenient. i know blade sharpeners are available, but if you have access to an air compressor, a 1/4 inch die grinder with an abrasive wheel is very easy to use and does not require as much of an investment as good blade sharpener.

3. mes37fan

mes37fan LawnSite Member

Thanks for info. I do operate in s.w. florida and mow alot of st. augustine and I have a couple of weed and sand yards. The guy at the Toro place told me to change the blades about every 20 yards. Apparently that is not right. Do you think I should do it every five yards for now until I get my accounts built up. I think after I get more accounts I will change them everyday. I do have two extra sets from toro and they don't seem to be that sharp.

Do you jack your mower up to change blades or drive up on you trailer ramp door?

4. mes37fan

mes37fan LawnSite Member

Thanks for info. I do operate in s.w. florida and mow alot of st. augustine and I have a couple of weed and sand yards. The guy at the Toro place told me to change the blades about every 20 yards. Apparently that is not right. Do you think I should do it every five yards for now until I get my accounts built up. I think after I get more accounts I will change them everyday. I do have two extra sets from toro and they don't seem to be that sharp.

Do you jack your mower up or do you use your trailer ramp?

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I sharpen mine daily or every 4 yards, whichever comes last.

Except new blades (brand-new), I usually let them ride 8-10 yards, sometimes more (couple of days).

6. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i have access to an automotive two post lift, use that and an impact wrench when possible. if you use an impact, don't overtighten. when not possible, i use any means necessary. one easy way in the field is to park over a low spot.

7. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

realy? we try and sharpen ours daily also but we do 35 yards per day so every 4 is out of the question

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

every 40 to 50 lawns or every 2-3 days whatever comes first!!

9. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

I sharpen mine every 10hrs of mowing.

10. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i change my blades daily but i have enough sets so i only have to sharpen once a week