1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade Sharpening

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mes37fan, May 9, 2006.

1. mes37fan

mes37fan LawnSite Member

Can anyone give any feedback regarding using a Dremel tool with a lawn blade attachment to sharpen blades? :usflag:
  2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

I do it, i comes out fine, just do it more often than with a regular sharpener.
  3. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I did it for awhile. It does come out pretty good. But I finally went and got a bench grinding wheel. Much faster and the edge seems to keep a bit longer then when done with a Dremel.
  4. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

why waste your time when a grinding wheel is cheap enough....the dremel just doesn't pack enough juice in it to use as often as we have to sharpen our blades.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

A 4" angle grinder with sandpaper is the easiest and fastest....you can also do the complicated mulch blades.
  6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a bench grinder and i just mangle my blades, it (or me) really does an awful job, though it is sharp. I now bought a grinding wheel you put an a power drill I haven't used it yet and I'm already thinking of the angle grinder idea.
  7. mes37fan

mes37fan LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I believe I'm going to use the angle grinder.
  8. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

Please explain this procedure to me. Do they make a sandpaper disc? Do you just place sandpaper on grinding disc? Is the use of sandpaper a seperate attachment? Is it velcro or adhesive backed?
  9. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a brand new atomic blade and it wasn't even that sharp.
  10. B2E

B2E LawnSite Member
    from VA.

No on the grinding disc and sand paper, or Velcro! These mount in a 4" angle grinder, they are a layered sanding disc. They come in various grits just like sheet paper. You can get these at Lowe's and other home improvement or hardware stores. You can also get them at your local welding supply shop. They work terrific on welds or just finishing metal, I have not tried them on a blade, but I have no doubt they would be far superior to a hard wheel. They will conform to the surface being worked much better.