Blade Sharpening?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Esby, May 31, 2001.

1. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Well, today I finally went out and bought my self a new bench grinder. I got a Delta with a 3.5 amp, 1/4 HP motor on it, two 6" grinding wheels(course and fine). Works really well. Just wonder what ya'll use for sharpening your blades?? Is there anything that works better than the other?

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a bench grinder to sharpen,it works pretty well,but I am in the process of getting an RBG. I hope it's as good as I have been hearing.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Where have you been Esby? I haven't seen you on line for a while. I use a RBG and I have for the past 15 months, second best thing is hand held grinders, last on my list is the bench grinder.

There have been many threads on this same topic, so I figure you haven't been on line to see these. :)

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

gotta differ here. i cant afford the blade sharpener yet
    but find it easier to get my blades the way i want them with
    table grinder.ths was not always the case. but with my grinder in my set up ,i can get the blade closer to the way i want it. which is sharp with some body right behind the edg and a quick taper to as sharp as i can get it.some day ill demo the rgb sharpener and im sure ill probably get it.theres just other things got to be got first.
    good luck.

5. Jay ALC

Jay ALC LawnSite Member

Where do you get info about the RBG grinders? I was looking at a Brandelein Machine Fireball grinder which seems to be the best I have found. Thanks.

Jay Archer
    Owner/Operator
    Archer Lawn Care

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

7. dhicks

dhicks Member

I bought the RBG and it looks pretty sitting on my work bench. Unfortunately, I can't use it. The single page instructions that came with the RBG may be enough information to those that know the process for sharpening blades. But for a novice like me the instructions are vague and leaves plenty of room for mistakes on my part. Oh well... When I take my hedge trimmers in for sharpening by the pro I'll get some instructions on using the RBG.

8. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Cont be discouraged by the popularity of the RBG. I also use a Delta bench grinder.

It takes a while to get the right method of sharpening, but once you find that groove, they work just fine. Uness you nick the blade, just running it across the wheel lightly will get you back out cutting. Try to follow the angle on the blade. Place yor blade in the same spot each time to maintain uniformity of angle. I didnt do this at first and my blade tips looked like a roller coaster:)

Dont use the "coarse" wheel, it is to aggressive.

9. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Our normal way is to use a bench grinder, however in a pinch our operators use a 3 1/2" hand grinder to dress the blades on our large machines. Our bench grinders are no less than 1/2hp and the one used to sharpen blades is 3/4hp with 10" wheels. The bigger the grinder the fast. Once you learn the technic for sharpening blades the normal time per blade is between 3 and 5 minutes.
    Don't forget a good blade balancer, there has been some discussion about those too. If you have a lot of blades to sharpen, I suggest buying a good pair of heavy welding gloves. The blades can get quite warm if you have some big nicks to take out. Try a welding supply store to get the gloves.

10. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

Until this year, I have used a bench grinder to sharpen my blades, it di ok, but it doesn't do as good of a job as a RBG or any grinder that specializes in blade sharpening. I ordered a Magna Matic grinder, with a 1 horse motor....They claim to sharpen a blade in less than one minute, but I'm sure It will take at least a couple for me. I also ordered a really high tech blade balancer that gives the exact weight of the left and right sides. It also has something like a Dial indicator on it that will detect if the blade is bent any, the company said that it is one of the most precise blade balancers out there. I thought about buying a RBG, but decided to get this instead, just to try it out. For the pair, I think the price was $655 with free shipping. Kinda expensive, but I take sharp blades very, very seriously