Blade sharpening

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by lungs414, Apr 18, 2008.

1. lungs414

lungs414 LawnSite Member

I want to sharpen my own blades. Any recommendations on a good homeowner sharpener and balancer?

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Is it a single blade machine? If it is just buy the largest flat bastard file Nicholson makes and use that. If you have more than 1 blade a Black and Decker 4" angle grinder with a flap wheel will work great. For a balancer use a nail pounded into a wall.

3. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i use a angle grinder and then smooth it out with a file. just be careful to keep the original angle.
    i started off with one of the cheap cone on a needle type of balancers that you can buy at HD/Lowes. i noticed that i would get varying results if i put a blade on it, took it off and then put it back on. i decided i could do better for a balancer, so i took my blade to an industrial supply store and bought a bearing the size of the hole in the blade. then i mounted it on a carriage bolt with a nut on either side to lock it in place. i stick the bolt in a hole i drilled in the side of my bench. this is a fairly good method. i only have about five bucks total. it definitely works better than a screwdriver or nail, which can show different balances respective of where in the bolt hole you place the blade. when you think about how much the balance of a mower blade can change due to the build-up of grass, i doubt that getting it accurate down to the last gram is that important.

4. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I bought a 6" bench grinder along with a jig to keep a nice angle. Works pretty well for me.

I did splurge a bit and bought a Magna Matic balancer. This really makes a difference. The deck runs much better when both blades are balanced. It really is that big of a deal. The last thing you want is a bearing to get thrown from running out of balance blades for years.