Blade sharpening

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DMS, Feb 8, 2002.

1. DMS

DMS LawnSite Member

I was just wondering how often everyone sharpens their blades. I know it depends on the conditions, but I would like to see how others do it. Also, is there any truth to doubling your blades to reduce clumping. If so, how do you do it, just insert another blade perpendicular to the first.

Thanks,

DMS

2. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Dont realy have a set time just check them from time to time or after i hit a rock or somthing.As far as double never tried if my mulch blade is clumping i go to discharge and hi lift blade.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

dms ,if you go up to right top o pg the search will yield much info and opinions on this subject.i personally like a little more angle than most as i think it holds edge better. i usually change to a sharp set most every day when im busy.
    it depends on how many hrs and what u been mowing.later now

4. Robert Ewald

Robert Ewald LawnSite Member

We sharpen or change blades daily or about every 8 hours of mow time per machine. Gator high lifts are great.

5. olabob

olabob LawnSite Member
    from TX

What are gator high lifts Robert...??

6. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Change blades daily on big mowers, about every two weeks on the trim mowers.
    Bill Craig!

7. Robert Ewald

They are an after market blade some what like the toro atomic mulching blade or scags mulching blade. They come in several diffrent styles such as regular all the way up to high lift which is desigined to help lift the enbeded or ground in debris our of the turf better (theses are great for spring and fall clean ups). Gator is the brand name like scag is a brand name for a ztr mower. Where I am most of the equiptment dealers carry them or can easily oredr them for you. You will see them in magazines like Pro and Turf.

8. Robert Ewald

Where are you from DMS?

9. DMS

DMS LawnSite Member

Robert-

My business, Dinges Mowing Service is in Sublette and I mow in Sublette, Amboy, and Woodhaven Lakes. We are currently maintaining 70+ accounts. Right now I am living in Byron and working for the Rockford Fire Department. Next year, I hope to start mowing in the Byron area and maybe branch out a do a few more things than more, but we will see. How is your business and what type of machines do you run? Nice to hear from someone in the area.

Nick Dinges
    DMS

10. Robert Ewald

DMS:
    Cool nice to meet some one in the area as well. We are growing to about 75 acts this season. We run A scag turf tiger with a 27 liquid cooled kawi on it, a gravely 36 inch belt drive, a snapper 21, and kawi blowers and trimmers.

Nice to talk with you.