blade sharpening

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rinker26, Feb 25, 2010.

1. blakerugg

blakerugg LawnSite Senior Member

agreed, a very good testimonial. is it actually easy to sharpen the blades with the magna?

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Very easy! All you do is lay the blade flat on the little table thing and add some gentle weight to the wheel. Seriously, if done regularly (which is what you'll do) it takes only like a minute to sharpen and balance a blade.
    Using an angle grinder you have to put it in a vice, turn on the grinder, estimate the angle, be careful not to but the metal and yourself, turn off grinder, put down carefully, take blade out of vice, check balance, put back in vice grinde to balance bla bla bla. You get my point?

Im not saying you have to get the Magna sharpener really, theres the RGB I think it is. Im just really saying its much easier to use a dedicated sharpener than anything else.

I bet you couldnt find anyone who has regretted buying a dedicated sharpener!

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yes, a dedicated tool is best, using an angle grinder is inefficient and wears the blade veyr unevenly. i have watched the videos and the magna does look to be the cadalac of sharpeners though and even faster than regular ones like the rbg we use now

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i use a bench grinder and it works well when you get the hang of it

5. mds2000

mds2000 LawnSite Member

i ordered a magna matic balancer last summer awesome crazy how bad my blades realy were but duty after crossing into canada ended up being like 305$ can so am kind of waiting to get a few bucks before i order the grinder who knows how much it will end up being

6. mike174

mike174 LawnSite Member

Grassman - I doubt he's serious (refer to his eyes rolling face).

I use a bench grinder.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Nails? Fingers? To balance a blade? Don't even bother. Here a vid I shot of a comparison between a nail and a simple bearing.

[​IMG]

8. bryansong

bryansong LawnSite Member

That's a good idea!

Thanks,
    Bryansong

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

To the guys that claim a nail in the wall will balance a blade, well a nail WILL NOT properly balance a blade period.

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I use pretty much the same thing as Richard and it WAY more accurate then a nail.
    [​IMG]