blade sharpening

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rinker26, Feb 25, 2010.

1. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

We use a Neary blade grinder,with a new wheel about every season. Blade balancing comes courtesy of a standard cheap balance, I think the last one was an Oregon. These we replace every cutting season.

WW

2. Bob_n_weave

Bob_n_weave LawnSite Senior Member

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

wow, nice video. i have a metal cone balancer and it is pretty good, but i think i will do the bearing thing to double check. thanks

4. freshcut419

freshcut419 LawnSite Member

5. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

I have never tried this "nail" theory. But, why doesn't it work?

6. blakerugg

blakerugg LawnSite Senior Member

i dont know much about the internals of balancers but i would guess that they have ball bearings inside which would make it much easier to spin if the blade was out of balance, and less friction then when using a nail. the more friction the less acurately balanced the blade will be

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

2 reasons.

1: As blakerugg said, the blade is not free to rotate on the nail. The blade could be grossly out of balance and you'd never see it.

2: This is related to number 1 but if you watch my video you'll see me adjust the position of the blade on the nail. The blade appears to go from slightly out of balance to balanced when it's on the nail. It is extremely difficult to get the blade centered properly on the nail so you can even get an indication that the blade is out of balance. I could have just as easily shown that the blade was out of balance towards the other direction if I had wanted to. That's not possible with a bearing.

8. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

I have never sharpened my own blades before today. I used an angle grinder with a 60 grit flap disc. The blades are sharper, but not as sharp as I would want them to be. I can run my fingers across the blades with a little pressure, and not even blink. Am I doing something wrong, or is this the way it is with what I have?

9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I dont sharpen my blades to a razor edge. I used to, but they loose that edge so quick its not worth loosing the extra metal. I sharpen down to something like .5mm rounded (blunt) edge. Sharp enough to cut grass but it seems to keep that edge longer.