Blade Sharpening

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by air8, Aug 27, 2003.

1. air8

air8 LawnSite Member

HOW OFTEN SHOULD I SHARPEN MY BLADES, AND IS THERE ANY CERTAIN WAY TO SHARPEN THEM.

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE.

:blob2:

2. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

After 6-8 HRS of mowing.

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

we change blades every other day. Putting sharpened ones on.

Anyway you can get the sharp cutting is edge, while keeping the bevel so that the blades cut through rather than plow through the grass. And remember to keep them balanced.

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I find the best way to put a good edge on a blade that will last is to use a Mill File and sharpen into the cutting edge, not away from it. If you sharpen away from the cutting edge it will end up to thin and will dull quicker. I've used angle grinders and bench ginders, but it's too easy to ruin a blade with a high speed grinder.

5. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try the MEG MO blades and you will be able to go 10 times longer before you have to sharpen. Then no knicks so does not take long to do. Dont worry about balanceing .

6. Mithrandir

Mithrandir LawnSite Member

I use the Magna-Matic 9000 and it does a great job. I sharpen six blades in less than 10 minutes. The sharpener is not cheap, but it is built to last and will probably outlast me ;)

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

You need to sharpen & balance your blades as often as required due to mowing conditions. I swap out the “old” set with one of my “sharp” sets at least ever 6 hours.

Gravely_Man