blade sharpening

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TClawn, Jun 2, 2004.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

at what angle do you sharpen you blades at? and how do you determine that angle? also do you dip them in water so that they don't lose their temper.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes I use water if they are getting real warm. I alternate blades to help prevent this, too. I happen to sherpen mine at a real sharp angle, because I like the real clean cut and the spin of the blades that way. The dowside to this, is that it is possible for the blades to dull or chip faster, but this just doesn't happen. As a matter of fact, since I take as much off of the bevel as what I do now, it seems that they stay sharper for longer.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you made a good point Runner, I have noticed that well sharpened blades don't last as long

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Most blades are manufactured with a 30 degree angle on the cutting edge. This seems to be the best angle for keeping the edge sharp for a longer time. I've experimented in the past with different angles, but I think 30 degrees works the best. If the angle is too shallow (less than 30 degrees) the edge seems to dull quicker. If the angle is too steep the cut quality suffers. JMO.

5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

All my John Deere blades and Gators are a 40 degree angle so that's what I do. but, 30 degrees, 40 degrees all's fair to me.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have one new gator blade. I just reset the grinder to it ever once in a while. So the other 12 blades I have are ground to the orginal factory angle.

What Runner said about the blades, switiching them or dipping them in water to keep them cool really helps. I have been doing that for a long time. If you get a blue to brown color, then the temper has been burned out. So you have to grind that down, until all silver shiny.