blade sharpening

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Jan 23, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I run a 36" mower with 2 blades (mulching). I sharpen the blades nearly every day, probably 3 times a week while cutting 35 lawns, mostly small to medium sized. I talked to a guy the other day who works for a huge company and they only sharpen the 48" about once a week, if that. Am i nuts, or just giving everyone a good cut.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We sharpen our blades everyday too. The sharper the blade, the better the cut, the easier it is on the mower. Plain and simple.

Matt

3. cst51

cst51 LawnSite Member

I sharpen once every 8-10 hours. If I work a full day (8-10) hours a day, then I change the blades. If I only work a half day (4-5 hours), I will stretch those blades until the end of the next day. At the most, I usually have 12 hours on a set of blades!!! At that time, It's time to change them.
    -Cary

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I sharpen mulching blades (all I use) once a week, or 60 lawns approx. My lawns look real good.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Some people get by on a 36" not sharpening the blades as often. They seem to cut ok with them dull. I guess it is because of only 2 blades.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Dull blades will shorten the grass, but it also damages the tips of the grass and splits the ends of the grass, which in turn makes the grass tips brown.

We put on sharp blades every day and our lawns always look greener than our competitions lawns. You can see an exact lot line when one is cut with sharp blades and the other is cut with dull blades. Dull blades don't cut the grass, they just beat it to death. Try shaving with a dull razer blade and see how you like it.

Maybe this is one reason some of you say you can't cut a lawn while mowing fast. If I used dull blades, I couldn't cut fast either. I carry extra blades just in case they happen to dull up faster one day than they normally do. I feel the blade, if I don't feel it could cut my finger, it is time to change them.

7. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

In a ideal location, no rocks, dirt, mulch, sticks, etc... just mowing grass, I will go about 6-8 hours before changing to sharp blades. Most of the time I go about 4-6. So I change halfway through the day and again at days end so I am ready for next time out.

Sharp blades make all the difference in the world!

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

You mean you throw out a set of blades when you get 12 hours on them? Or did you mean it was time to sharpen them? You confused me (not too hard), if you throw them out after 12 hours send them to me if they fit one of mine! I'll sharpen them till they can't be sharpened no more!
    When I bought my 72 there seemed to have been a blade shortage, everything was back ordered, I had 98 hours on the mower when I finally got a new set. I think I still have them somewhere.........sharpen till the lifts start to wear, then trash them.

[Edited by HOMER on 01-23-2001 at 06:17 PM]

9. teamII

teamII LawnSite Member

how do u change blades in middle of the day? do you go home to use an air impact?

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We change them on the job and I never use an impact wrench on spindle bolts. We just pull one wheel up on the tailgate of the trailer and let the other part of the machine hang over the side and set the brake and put a chalk block behind the tires. Works great.