Blade Sharping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bennett scape, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Bennett scape

Bennett scape LawnSite Member

Hi all i just bought a Scag Tiger Cub 48" with a 19 hp Kawasaki and was wandering in general terms how often to sharpen the blades. I am mostly cutting Bermuda with some fescue and bluegrass as well thax for the help.

PS did i buy a good mower? :weightlifter:

2. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

When they get dull. I don't mean to sound like a smart alec, but what you need to do is keep an eye on them and when you notice the cutting edge is starting to round out or get nicks in it it is time to sharpen them. There are other variables besides the type of grass that plays into it as well. The operator is one of them. My daughter's blades always seem to last longer then mine do.

3. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

Great machine you'll be happy.

4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Under normal mowing conditions about 8 hours of use. Other than normal conditions would be like bahia grass in sandy soil or just plain old junky yards with lots of small sticks from tree branches etc.

I think most guys change their blades daily when mowing commercially and sharpen blades on weekends or pick out a night to do them.

Nosmo

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

It really depends alot on how often you are mowing too. For instance the guy who only mows 5 lawns per week will not have to sharpen his blades nearly as often as the guy cutting 100 lawns per week.