Blade sharping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lone wolf, Jun 15, 2010.

1. lone wolf

lone wolf LawnSite Member

Asking if anyone on here has bought a blade sharping machine. I shapen my by hard, but after doing them for a while I know I am losing my angle.

Thinking of buying 1, but don't know if they work or not.

2. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

how do you sharpen them by hand? just curious.

3. turftracerhp

turftracerhp LawnSite Member
    from mo

get an rbg 2181p.also get a magnamatic balancer.this is an awsome set up.i think so anyway.

4. Robert Pruitt

Robert Pruitt LawnSite Senior Member

i try to keep the angle in the same plane as the sail. using a 6 in. belt sander.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Oregon 12" 1.5 hp grinder, the angle is pre-set and can be adjusted.

Only two PITA's is that dang grinding wheel going out of round, so in addition
    to the grinder you'll need a wheel dresser, they're like $20 or so for a good one.
    Then the dust is a bit disturbing, however a vacuum system specifically made for this purpose is prohibitively costly.

6. lone wolf

lone wolf LawnSite Member

How much should I expect to pay for 1?

I am using a 4 1/2" hand grinder now.

I heard from my dealer that the reason that I am having issues with grass not getting chopped up a little finer was that I lost the factory angle. So I thought I would look into getting a machine.

7. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

Hello,

Please take a look at our equipment www.magna-matic.com

If you review some of the posts at our forum here at lawnsite.com you'll read many many testimonials about how well our equipment maintains consistent angles, and sharpens within 1-2 min without burning the blade.

Forum Link
    http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=37

As mentioned above we are known worldwide by our balancing instruments, we invented the lawn mower blade balancer in 1958.

Thank you,

8. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

Hello,

One item to note that many people look past is consistency of the angle produced. RBG style units (including Oregon, who copied RBG's design) cannot provide a consistent angle.

As a grinding wheel wears (becomes smaller in diameter) the angle that you are sharpening on the blade changes.

To get back to a consistent angle after wheel wear the wheel must be adjusted downward. Due to the design of the RBG, Oregon, Neary, Foley, Lesco, etc you need a template (new) blade to set the grinding wheel at the correct height. This is time consuming to hold a template blade in the machine, loosen the adjustment wingnuts, crank the adjustment down, re-tighten the adjustment wingnuts to hold the wheel where you set it, then finally start grinding again.

All Magna-Matic sharpeners have one simple crank on the top of the unit. The operator lowers the grinding wheel down to the worktable. Then starts sharpening.

Our adjustment design sets the machine at 30 degrees regardless of grinding wheel diameter, so the operator only has to keep lowering the wheel to the worktable and all the blades will be consistent.

Please ask if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

9. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I'm looking at getting a magna matic.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Give me a break with this improvement, that's a far cry from maintaining the angle, you did say NONE of the other grinders
    can maintain the angle as the wheel wears, well unless you adjust them neither can yours?