1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade Sharpner and Balancer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lowe Mowing, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Lowe Mowing

Lowe Mowing LawnSite Member

Hey I need to get away from these little grinders I use because they mess up my blades and they take forever to sharpen. My question is what is a good make and model of a blade sharpner that is under $300. And is a balancer really neceissary? Also where do you guys get your blades from? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

2. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... I use experience and a combo of grinding wheels, files etc. depending on the condition. And, yes I feel balancing is definitely necessary. As far as blades go, you will have to shop for those or you may have a local dealer :).

3. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

What ever you decide to sharpen them with, I'd say yes you should balance them to save wear on the mowers spindles. You could buy something cheap as a plastic balancer for 4-5 bucks or even use a nail on a post to get you fairly close. But definitely balance them.
  4. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I use a 8 inch bench top slow speed grinder (1700 RPM, around $80 in most woodworker supply stores), added a really good, soft, white Norton wheel, a Veritas grinding jig and a magna magtic balancer. Added up to around $280.

As with everything, it takes practice and skill to produce a very sharp edge, once you master it, it goes pretty quick and without any overheating of the blade.

5. Bengo

Bengo LawnSite Member

What degree( angle ) do you guys sharpen your blades to to get the best combo of a good cut and the longest edge life between sharpenings. Do you sharpen standard blades and "gator " mulching blades the same ?
  6. Bengo

Bengo LawnSite Member

Sorry guys ( and gals ). I just noticed a different thread that pretty much answered my question.
  7. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... I find that the Mfg. angle works out pretty good for me. In my option, you don't want a razor's edge :).

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly, they nick easier and require added sharpening.
  9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

A razor blade will stay sharp about 30' mowing grass then so dull it won't cut you so do not sharpen mower blades that way. Nice thing about the MEG MO blades is they stay sharp about 10 times longer and are balance all the time when running.
  10. Lowe Mowing

Lowe Mowing LawnSite Member

Would Meg-Mo blades work on a new RH Wright Stander. What do you guys think about Meg-Mo blades.