blade sharpner?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., May 17, 2004.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I have always had my blades sharpened by my dealer. Now i would like them on my schedule at my place is thier any real difference from a bench grinder and a actual blade sharpner? I really need any info becasue i dont really see why those neary blade sharpners are so expensive.

2. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a new Magna Matic this season and couldn't be more happy. Once you get the blades balanced the first time it is a simple task to get them back into shape each time. I will never sharpe another blade with a 4" grinder or bench grinder again. I don't care what anyone says about doing it that way. The angle isn't right and your never as consistant as a fixed unit built for the task. The old saying..... the right tool for the right job.... I believe it now....

My opinion !!!!!

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

For under $75 you can get a DeWalt 4 1/2" grinder and some flap discs, or you can buy an off brand for less. I have 2, one with a regular grinding disc to get the blades at the right angle, and the other with flap disc to perfect the edge.
  4. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Blades Of Steel has it right in my opinion. You just can not beat a dedicated tool for a specific job. Mine is a 'Fireball Jr.' and it is a serious sharpener for straight (flat) blades.