blade sharpness

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by exmark72, Jul 24, 2006.

1. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

i have two sets of blades regulars and mulchers. and how sharp should they be like knife sharp or close to it or some what round like they are now. the guy that sharpens them might not know what hes doing and has a 1100 dollar sharpener thanks for the help

2. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

It should be a beveled edge. A steep edge but NOT sharp like a knife. An edge is all you want. Knifes wear out faster.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I started this just recently.

At Lowe's, they sell a $30 wet grinding wheel. It's purpose is for sharpening chisels, screwdrivers, etc. I take my regular table grinder and put a really sharp edge on my blades. This causes the little black burnt edges and also the flaky edges as well. Well, after I sharpen them with the grinder, I go to the wet grinder and take the black and flaky edge off. It's not as sharp then, but the edges seem to last longer. $30 grinder plus $30 wet grinder. Not too bad a deal.:)

4. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

I like em razor sharp. As long as all they hit is grass the edge will hold fine. If they can't cut off your fingers or toes then they aren't sharp enough. Just make sure to use someone else's to test the sharpness.

5. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

I've found that you know they are sharp when you can hardly run your fingertip along it without feeling a possible chance of getting cut. It takes practice with the grinder, but it can be done. I can't describe it any other way. I think now would be a good time to discuss blade sharpening techniques. Does anyone actually sand it down after grinding?

6. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

^^^ make sure you don't confuse the black burnt edges with sharpness!

7. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I grind them on the Delta grinder and then take a file and use that for about a minute on each blade. Keeps me goin....:rolleyes:

8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

We sharpen them to the knife edge and then hit them with a file to blunt them a little. If they are that sharp the edge will fold over too easily and dull much faster.

9. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

this is something i have wondered, does that coat of paint have any useful function? or is it just for factory looks? And what is the propper angle to sharpen at? i have a dremel with a sharpening attachment set at 40 degrees.

10. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

My manual says keep edge at 30* for bobcat blades. I made a pretty sharp edge but not like a razor. Just sharp enough it would slash a pop can if I slid it across. A friend of mine said I should quickly run it across the back of the edge. Is this normal? What is the purpose?

Cheers
    Jeff