blade sharpning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

how often should i sharpen my blades if i cut 10-20 lawns a week?

2. trimmerhead

trimmerhead LawnSite Member

once a week is about all you should need. though it would depend on the size of the yards.

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have 15 accounts and I sharpen my blades every other week. although I'm thinking about going to sharpening them every week.
    btw the lawns I do are about 6000 to 7000 sqft.

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I have 23 accounts and I change blades every other day at least. QUite a few of my properties are over an acre though.

5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Once a week if the properties are not too large.

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i sharpen my blades every 8-10 hours of cutting. more often if i make sweet lovin' to a tree root or the occassional rock or scalp ;)

7. shiznitttt

shiznitttt LawnSite Member

lmao "sweet lovin" to a tree root...

8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Go by the hour. If you are mowing 3, 8 hour days then figure your actual mowing time is roughly 10 hours. I like to change mine every 8-10 hours. This means I have to change every 2-3 days. I will go longer If I have some crappy grass to cut and it doesn't matter much on the cut. I always keep extra blades in my truck for that misfortune of hitting a stray rock or as mentioned before scalp or tree root. This is where you have to figure out for yourself. You can mow faster with a nicer cut when the blades are sharp. so figure out the time when your blades are actually costing you time and quality and then change them.

9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I start with razor sharp blades every morning. By the end of the day (sometimes sooner) they are dull enough for a change. Your customers and your equipment deserve razor sharp blades

10. JerrysLawnService

JerrysLawnService LawnSite Member

Most blade grinders say that you should sharpen them

every eight hours.

Jerry