Blade shavings?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, Aug 8, 2007.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Alright, I'm really getting the hang of my Magna-Matic 9000. Some blades I thought were about done are now back "in the rotation". But I've run into a small dilemma.

What do others do about all the blade residue from sharpening? I know the tube/shield is for directing the dust but if I hook the shop/vac up to it, I can just imagine the shed inferno about two hours after I go to bed. :dizzy:

Is there a better (and safer) way to keep the shop clean without me having to blow/vacuum/sweep/etc. every time?
  2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Yea, dont do it in your shop!

Other than that have fun cleaning.
  3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a shop vac on mine, they were designed for that. The only problem I have is the filter gets dirty and I have to blow it out outside once a week. Good Luck !
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Do you leave the shop/vac hose hooked up to the discharge chute of the grinder on all the time? I'm worried about all the sparks.:confused:
  5. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I use a bench grinder for my blades so I may not understand the shop vac hookup to your collection tube. I don't think I'd use the vac while I was grinding, but clean up after I was finished. You're right in thinking sparks could/would be sucked in. May not be many or big, but.....! With the air movement in the canister it would provide a strong draft for a fire.

As far as blowing the filters clean, be sure you wear a mask of some sort. Don't breath that crap, which includes those metal shavings.
  6. bsalter5

bsalter5 LawnSite Member

If you empty your shop vac before use, you'll have nothing in there to burn. Save the shavings in a bucket, then, when you get some saved up, spread them in your garden or on your favorite lawn - the iron really helps (at least around here).

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

except for the paper filter element....
  8. bsalter5

bsalter5 LawnSite Member

Not a chance - shop vac intakes direct the incoming air down - away from the filter. Any particles large and heavy enough to have retained much heat after their trip through the hose will simply continue to the bottom of the canister and stay there. Only the tiniest particles get to the filter, and they won't have near enough heat left to cause a problem.

9. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I'm also scared about fires. I sharpen mine in the basement with a bench grinder and I never do this just before I go to work. I do it when I'll be home for a while just in case of fire.

Could metal shavings on the floor make my cat puke? seriously.
  10. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't Use A Shop Vac

Not only is the a danver is fire int he filter, but the housing is plastic. Also, the metal shavings don't do the motor any good.

Make a deflector out of aluminum sheeting and just sweep them up.

Our shop has a small, walk in closet if you will with a vent fan. All sharpening is done in there to contain the mess.