1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade Spacers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rcav8er, Sep 18, 2004.

1. rcav8er

rcav8er LawnSite Member

I have what may be a stupid question, but here goes.

My deck is currently setup with all three blade spacers
    on the top of the spindal and nothing between
    the blade and spindal.

Could I improve my cut quality by lowering the blade
    height as related to the deck?

Of course I would raise the deck to maintain the actual
    cut height. I getting a very poor cut when cutting
    Bermuda and dealing with Crab Grass.
  2. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

I hear that its supposed to cut better that way (lower the blade in relation to the deck, then raise the deck asnecessary to maintain proper height of cut)....I think the theory is that the deeper the deck, the better the suction and capacity before it (the deck) gets overloaded with tall thick grass.
  3. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

:cool2: Yes!--- The ideal set up is to have the blades just up inside the deck. (maybe a 1/4 inch to 1/2) This will inprove the cut-- big time. The way you have it now the grass is pushed down by the deck and must "pop up" inside the deck in order to be cut. Everything is happing in a small space between the blade and the deck, heavy grass with very little air flow.
  4. rcav8er

rcav8er LawnSite Member

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure if my limited
    understanding and experience was right or wrong.

Thanks Again :)
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I feel that every deck is different. Try messing around with the spacers to figure what gives you the best cut.
  6. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

This is true.

Coincidentally enough I have been messing around with this very problem lately.

What I have found is that if all of spacers are on top you miss the taller grass because of what sprout stated above. However, if you put them all below then you miss the striping effect being as prominent.

My mower has four spacers. I have found that one below and three up gives me a good cut while striping well.

Let me know how things turn out for you.