1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade speed difference

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by curry, Sep 17, 2001.

1. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Ive read alot about the commercial mowers having more blade speed than homeowners versions. I have a Snapper yard cruiser w/ 15hp Kolar. The manufacturer states the blade speed is 16590rpm. Most commercial mowers that Im looking at(Toro and Exmark walkbehinds) have a blade speed of about 18000. My question is, Is the extra 1400rpm going to make a noticable difference on how the cut is(at different speeds of mowing)
  2. Lawn Services

Lawn Services LawnSite Member
    from DE

i would think that every little bit helps
    i do know that there is a law mandating how fast they can turn i belive for safty the can turn know faster than 19000
    my Yazoo/kess is around 18200 and produces a nice cut at high speeds
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sure high blade speed capability can help.
    i have noticed there are times when im set up for one type of mowing and run into a lot of another condition,i can cut the rpm and get a smoother cut. go figure.later
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Blade tip speed definetly makes a difference. I have a turf tracer with 17 kawasaki motor and it came from the factory running 1300 rpms too slow( go figure). This made the blades turn slower, which made for double cutting and a lousy cut all the time. I had a mechanic I trusted to check the rpms and he said they were slow by 1300 rpms. He adjusted them where they needed to be, which brought the blade tip speed up, and it cuts like a dream, or actually like it should have from the beginning. ;)
  5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

blade tip speed is great. the acual number is feet per minute , ( i think, not rev. per minute. sort of like a speed on a car. I have heard that dixies out do everybody cause the set the tip speed at max with the rpm of the engine doing 3200 rpm. and then send them out the door and say at the dealership- dont tighten that spring right there, it will put your rpms at 3600, and that would put you at an illegal tip speed, wink wink, nudge nudge. the rep at the louisville show TOLD me the bearings would hold up even at 25000 tip speed. crazy daveg
  6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes the blade tip speed is measured in feet per minute, I was saying in my post that the motor was running 1300to1500 rpms less than normal. With the rpms running lower than normal, this would make the blade tip speed be lower also. Which would make for a really bad cut. I think this is what the first post was talking about,lower blade tip speed.
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Why don't you guys get a Tiny Tach which will give your RPM's and hours on the machine. Linkage will wear a fuzz here and there and in a few hundred hours can drop your rpm's quite a bit, which affects your cut. They sell for around $35 to $40 and are very easy to hook up.

The one that came on my old Chopper has lasted almost 3700 hours, so they do last a long time too.
  8. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Where can the "Tiny Tach" be purchased?
  9. plow kid

plow kid Banned

At the Tiny Tach shop [​IMG]

Landscaper supply Co. has them I think
  10. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

From the testing we have done I would say blade tip speed is over-rated.

If the deck is designed poorly high BTS will not help much. With a well designed deck high BTS is not a requirement.

The only reason we are at or above 18,000 fpm is due to some believing this is all that matters. It is a marketing tool for the most part.

I have to agree with the crux of the posts here on lawnsite....try the machine in your grass conditions on your accounts and judge for yourself.

Barry Adamski
    Gravely Engineer

Check out our new Walk-Behinds.