Blade speed increaser

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by KUBOTADAN, Oct 13, 2005.

1. KUBOTADAN

KUBOTADAN LawnSite Member

I have a Kubota zd18 blade tip speed is 15400. I am wanting to
    increase the blade speed. i can order two gears to do this. Anybody
    tried this?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

All you have to change is your pulley that is your main drive ON the deck. A smaller pulley on top of the deck will cause more revolutions per belt travel. Make sure you spindle to spindle on your center one stays the same, though. If this was changed, your other two spindle pulleys aould have to go smaller, also. Keep in mind two things; You will probably need a little smaller belt for you engine to deck drive, (depending how much margin is in there for adjustment). Also, you will lose some engine power against the drag of heavier grasses.

3. Grass Cake

Grass Cake LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone C

Where did you get the info about the 2 gears? I called my kubota dealer and he's never heard of a kit to increase the blade speed of a zd18.

There was another thread about this once that petered out so ....i'm confused ;)

4. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Why?.........

5. KUBOTADAN

KUBOTADAN LawnSite Member

The zd 18 cuts nice on 2" when you have a level yard thin grass. When
    you need to cut on 2 1/2 it doesn't cut as clean. Thought increasing
    blade tip speed might help. Otherwise I will need to purchase a
    zd 21 or 25. My zd 21 has more hp and blade speed is 17400.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Call roy at Meg-mo's

7. Grass Cake

Grass Cake LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone C

My thoughts exactly......I was hoping that the speed increase would increase airflow/suction.

BTW......when i need to cut at 3"-3 1/2" the missed grass really start to show.

Grass Cake

8. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

Hate to bust your bubble but the gear speed increaser will only work on the pro deck it is avaible as a dealer option I think that they will change out the deck gear box but not for sure when I bought my ZD 21-60 pro it was somethin that I had them to do as a option at the price that I gave for the mower sorry that I do not have more info I sold my Kubota ZD and bought a Scag Turf Tiger as the Kubota would not keep up with the Scag Saber Tooth Tiger or rather it would but would leave shooters behind that you would have to go back and cut again so I solved that problem Good luck I am not Knock the Kubota it is a great machine it just did work out for me
    Twj