Blade Speed Too Low

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by cybervision, May 21, 2007.

1. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

PJ. I have just checked the blades speed and the machine is running at 17,740FPM when the motor is at 3600 RPMs. The spindles are running at 3800 rpms and should be running at 3980 rpms. The tension is correct and the belts and pulleys look good. Please check with the factory and let me know ASAP what they say the spindle speed should be at the advertised 18,600 Blade tip. I have a industrial optical tachometer. It was calibrated before and after using it on the mower. It was within 1 rpm @ 7200. The machine is back at the dealer right now.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I will ask tomorrow.

3. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Did you get your mower back from your dealer yet?

4. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

I should be getting it tonight. He used it on his own house and he thought it cut well. But he did say he went over it twice to disperse the clippings. His lawn is similar to mine just a lot smaller and our grass is currently very dry. The clippings are mostly coming out the very front and not dispersing. I am currently running 6 blades with hi-lift gators on the bottom and the fusions on the top. The gators have the teeth sharpened as well. The clippings are amazing small but I still need to get better dispersal. If I can solve this it should be great.

Did you get the spindle RPMs from Hustler?

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I didn't get a RPM figure, but they tell me it is set properly for the advertised 18,300 blade tip speed.