Blade survey...let's get some info.!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BobbyKnight, May 4, 2005.

1. BobbyKnight

BobbyKnight LawnSite Member

I know the blade topic has been driven in the ground lately, but I want to find out what people think is best. Are running double blades worth it? Or, should a person stick with running single blades? I did a search and some say doubles are the best way to go, while others say it is a waste of time and too hard on the machine, uses too much gas, etc. I would like to see some hardcore evidence on which is best. I have never used double blades, but am interested in trying it out. But, before I do, being relatively new at this, I would like to know from those who have been around for awhile and find out what has worked best for them. Let the debating begin.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends on your mower.

Make
    Model
    HP
    Deck size
    Spindle type

Then you jump into what combo of blades to use.

My DC needed doubles.

My Lazer cuts beautifully without them.

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Toro 36" w/ 13hp Kawasaki and run doubles now. It cuts up the discharge well, only minor clumping on wet, long (new customers) grass. I will go back to singles this summer once the grass slows down, then back to doubles this fall, especially on the leaf clean ups.

4. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I tried every combo I could think of with doubles. I think that my mower cuts just as well without doubles. I have a 52inch Super Surfer with a 23p Kawi. I believe it created too much wind under the deck and the air bouncing of the deck and back into the grass, didn't allow for lift and left some blades uncut. Just a hunch though.

5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

I've always used singles, but i'm going to try doubles.

6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I run doubles on my Hustler 37 WB. It really packs the bagger full when cutting wet grass.

7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

my older 48" bobcat has single gators, i've mulched heavy leaves up with side discharge last year with no problem, had to go over it twice but did it very well, no need for doubles for me.

8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

What kind and size of mower are you going to use and how much HP does it have?

Are you mulching, discharging or bagging?

Wet grass or dry?

How tall is the grass?

How thick is the grass?

There are many factors that can have an affect when using double blades and whether or not it will work in your situation.

Simply put...It takes more horsepower to spin twice as many blades as the mower was originally designed for. More blades means more power is needed to spin the blades and keep them spinning.