Blade Test

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Apr 2, 2004.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

New Hp 48" I have the notched airfoil Excaliburs and just ordered the Gator blades. Also ordering some high lift mulch blades to compare them to.

I will let you know what I find out................
  2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

That's why I like this site. Someone's already been there and done that. I never had to buy Gators to know when or where to use them.

You have the mulch kit on yours to test the mulching blades?

Include all the variables.......(the time of year, % of moisture,your location & your type of grass/ thickness, mowing speed, blade sharpness ect.ect.ect) so we have some basis to compare. All makes a diff. (have you already adjusted your motor's rpms to bring your blade tip speed to what it should be? Know their set lower from the dealer. Most if not all the blades I know of, have been put to the test here, before. (diff. blade combinations with double-bladed set-ups, too) Let us know how the diff. ones work for you.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Please tell, I have the gators on my metro hp 48. Some tall wet stuff almost killed it yesterday. I'm wondering if i should go a different setup in spring. Did not have the gators last year and don't remember 15 Kaw choking. Also did not have the yard I was in so I have to many variables. Would love to hear other opinions.

Metro-- How do you increase RPM and does that kill any warranty?
  4. keegan99usa

keegan99usa LawnSite Member

I also am wondering how you increase blade tip speed. Why do you say it is set low at the factory? Would this be the same for a 15HP Kaw on a ZTR?
    Thanks all,
    Signed---Not a scrub, but a homeowner looking for professional advice!
  5. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Some dealers might be diff. I've never seen a mower that had the RPMs set high enough when new. I always heard they did it in their best interest. (Warrenty) Doing a search here will answer SO many more question, than I have time to now (what a mower under load should be @, how to adjust the RPMs on diff. motors, ect.
    All have been discused many times over the last 5 years I've baan around here. (giving a simple answer here would be like cheating a way. World of info. here in the archives)