Blade tip speed on Ferris 3000 60" 27 hp Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by seb442, May 20, 2004.

1. seb442

seb442 LawnSite Member

Does anyone know the blade tip speed on the Ferris 3000 60" 27 hp Kohler. Can not find it in their brochure or on their web site.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

They will not tell you...I've tried and I have had like 20 Fwrris machines in the past 10 years.

3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Why is it such a big secret?

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, why????????????????? :confused:
    It's either lower than others or a hair above safety guidelines would be my guess.

5. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

all i know is i was mowing all day today with my
    1000zs at full speed and it didn't miss a blade of grass

6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Some where between 15000 and 18000. But do you really care as long as it gets the grass cut.

7. seb442

seb442 LawnSite Member

A local Ferris dealer called his Ferris REP. and the rep told the dealer the blade tip speed was 18,756.25. I guess I will assume this is at least close until I find out different. Just thought it was unusual that I could not find it anywhere. Thanks

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I guess he just rounded it off then... :rolleyes:

Blade tip speed measured at what engine RPM.

You have some mowers being delivered new taching out @ 3500 RPM and others turning 3800 RPM. Thats a HUGE difference when you measure at the blades!

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Blade tip speed is a dumb number anyways. All it is, is a selling gimmick, it doesn't have anything to do with actual cutting of grass.

I realize that if your blades are spinning at 4 rpms vs 18,000 rpms, that you're not going to cut the grass, but 15,000 vs 18,000 or 18,000 vs 18,754 or whatever is not going to make that big of a difference.

The biggest difference is how SHARP is your blade, clean your deck out.

If you've got sharp blades, weed free grass, dry grass, you'll have a nice perfect cut. Other than that, there's a chance you'll have to work at it.

10. seb442

seb442 LawnSite Member

TLS

I do not know the engine rpm that was measured at.

LwnmwrMan22

I agree about it being a dumb number and just a selling gimmick. The dealer told me that is why Ferris does not mention it in their brochures. And yes, sharp blades and a clean deck is very important.