Blade tip speed question.

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by HenryB, Feb 11, 2008.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering why Exmark lowered the BTS on the Triton? Not at all criticizing (lots of guys in my area love the Tritons W/out the speed up kit. I know Exmark has a good reason for this and wondering what it is? It's 8 degrees outside and I'm bored so please respond ASAP.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

HenryB,

I'm not sure what you mean by the lowered BTS on the Triton??

KC

3. HenryB

In 06 the new Triton decks had a 16500 blade tip speed. Ultra Cuts are 18500 BTS. They've (Tritons) since been raised to 18750 bts in 2007. What was the idea benefit of having them at 16500 bts Pre speed up kit in 2006.

4. fourbybud

fourbybud LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

So they can sell you a speed up kit!!!!!

5. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

That's too funny. LOL

6. HenryB

The speed up kit is free. So that's not why.

7. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

HenryB,

Since I wasn't here when the Triton was launched I can't answer for certain why the BTS was lower than the UltraCut. I do know that a lower BTS is better in some conditions. I just recently visited one of our dealers in Connecticut, and realized first hand that a lower BTS can be better when cutting lush, wet grass. Now I'm not saying the lower BTS is always better, in fact I would argue that in general, a manufacturer that serves the entire country will have less cut issues w/ a higher BTS. I think this is one of the reasons why we increased the speed. Hope that helps.

KC

8. HenryB

This summer I'll be using an 06 Triton at the lower BTS. I want to give it a fair shake. If I don't like it I'll have the kit installed. A lot of guys around here love the Triton w/out the kit makes me wonder.

9. gunpowder

gunpowder LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I believe it was a torque related issue but can't recall. It was discussed her so check the archives if you really can't sleep :)