Blade tip speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dpullen4, May 2, 2005.

1. dpullen4

dpullen4 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

What kind of blade tip speed do you have to have to get the "professional" look? I've seen entry level ZTR's 18k+ fpm and notice that seems to be in the same category of Exmark and others. Shouldn't I expect a very nice cut from a mower that cuts at 19k fpm, even though it's not a commercial machine?

For example, I came across the Country Clipper today. For $3399, I get a 17HP Kohler with a 42" fabricated deck and lift out deck and it cuts at a higher speed than listed by Exmark. Sure, it's not a machine built to handle the rigors of cutting 50 hours/week, but I think for 5 hours a week, it should provide an excellent cut in the ZTR market for a brand new mower.
  2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Don't get caught up in the blade tip speed claims of different mower manufacturers. Blade speed means nothing if the blades are dull or there isn't enough horsepower to maintain blade speed in adverse cutting conditions.

Buy a good quality mower with plenty of HP and keep the blades sharp.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Bottem line get the biggest moter available,when you cut at high speeds new blades sharpened daily