Blade tip speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimmyStew, Mar 23, 2008.

1. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

How important it blade tip speed on a mower, or more importantly, how slow is too slow? I see that many of the WB mfg are up near 17k or 18k. I'm looking at a new Husqvarna WB with a tip speed of 15.9k. Will there be a noticable difference in cut?

2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be noticeable.
    The faster the blades move the sharper, more define the cut....

3. blind04

blind04 LawnSite Member

i agree with turf cammando. i have nothing but exmarks for mostly the very reason of there very very high blad tip speed. 28,500 rpm. and they cut like better than anything i have ever seen. so it is most likely very important

4. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

On a walk behind it will not be as big of a factor!

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Monte makes a good point.

But with any mower, tip speed is just as important as ground speed and even horsepower. I have a Deere 717A I use on some smaller properties. The only real complaint I have is the 16,500 blade tip speed. The quality of cut in deep fescue would benefit greatly with another 2,000 fpm, IMO.

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

This must be a typo ... probably blade tip speed is 18,500, not 28,500 !!

7. duke & sons

duke & sons LawnSite Member

Hey Lawn Specialties

You can up the blade speed to 18,000 on the 717A, by buying a new clutch with the bigger pulley. This is how JD increased the speed on the 717A in 2006 with the 7iron II deck.

I mulch full time with mine and the increased speed helped.

I think the cost was $150-$170.

8. duke & sons

duke & sons LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention, you will have to increase the rpms on your engine. The bigger pulley will draw the engine down.

9. macguy

macguy LawnSite Member

Anything over 18k is fine. IMO the bigger determination of cut quality is the design of the deck.

10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

If you are going to be mowing at faster speeds the faster blade tip speed will help to insure that all the grass is cut and not have any left un cut. The faster blade tip speed the better.